Chaosforge Forum

• April 27, 2024, 12:28
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: drowning in water  (Read 5103 times)

Brewtal Legend

• Second Lieutenant
  • I am Hellbound
    • View Profile
drowning in water
« on: January 26, 2007, 12:47 »

Maybe if the player is in the water for too long, he/she could start "drowning" and slowly loosing life. It probably wouldn't come up too often, but it would give levers that flood levels with water a greater purpose and make it more hazardous.

-Legend
-Legend

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: drowning in water
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 13:30 »

Question 1: How long is too long?

Comment 1: I'm not sure about this, but do boots rust in water?  I sort of remember but I can't be really sure about whether I'm remembering right.  If so then in the 'boots take damage from danger zones so you don't' way it makes sense.  This doesn't take into account the 'erm, but the water's not *that* high!' aspect, though (I see the current water as reaching up to maybe knee level, if not merely ankle-level).

Comment 2: On the other hand, this could lead to a new trait that helps you resist dangerous floor damage/bleeding.  But such a trait would have balancing/relevancy issues....

Comment 3: Also, I've only played the first level of the original Doom but the water there was poisonous (>_> but it probably wasn't really water either... probably actually acid).

Santiago Zapata

• Temple Guardian
  • Backer
  • First Lieutenant
  • Roguelike Developer
    • View Profile
    • Slashie.net
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 17:25 »

Question 1: Do items rust on DoomRL??? :|

Comment 1: If I remember correctly there is a small water area on the first level of Doom, also, all water parts of Doom are shallow pools, arent them?
Slash (Castlevania, Metroid, Drash, ZeldaRL)
Temple of The Roguelike
Slashie.net

Valkeera

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 19:06 »

Yep, just shallow streams and puddles. To drow in one of these would really be a shame :-)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 12:25 by Valkeera »
Angel of Death 007

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 06:37 »

I agree with Valkeera :)
But having them cause rusting damage to boots sounds like it might be a good idea.
Problem is that realistically, it takes much longer for boots to start rusting than a step in a puddle would grant, especially in the intense heat that must surround that dungeon. That, together with the facts that protective and plasteel boots might not have any reason to rust and that this is not NetHack (where steel boots would rust and protective boots would prevent interaction with foocubi), makes this seem to me as a bad idea after all.

Getix

• Corporal
  • Always forgive, never forget.
    • View Profile
    • Getix's Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 04:59 »

I agree with Valkeera :)
But having them cause rusting damage to boots sounds like it might be a good idea.
Problem is that realistically, it takes much longer for boots to start rusting than a step in a puddle would grant, especially in the intense heat that must surround that dungeon. That, together with the facts that protective and plasteel boots might not have any reason to rust and that this is not NetHack (where steel boots would rust and protective boots would prevent interaction with foocubi), makes this seem to me as a bad idea after all.

It seems to me not a so good idea to "rust" the boot on water..
Ok, it is a roguelike.. but we are also in 2xxx, not in 1xxx.. I suppose that a properly created/crafted metal item, in 2xxx, does not rust when being immersed in water... :-S
http://getix.wordpress.com
Personal, Trance & Roguelike blog.

Adral

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 05:40 »

I agree with Getix, the future will probably have much better materials than those we have now. Hell, if they've got the BFG 9000 what is a simple rustproof boot for them? :P

Also, I don't see a problem with having water just for ambience. Ambience is important in games to make them more "immersive", and a roguelike can be immersive too, even without graphics ;)
Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 08:52 »

Actualy, maybe a "splash" sound while walking over it... ;].
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007, 09:33 »

Um, isn't "steel" the same throughout the world, and throughout time past and future?
The advanced materials/constructions are the Protective and Plasteel versions. Steel'll still rust.

Adral

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 10:22 »

Well, we've got Stainless Steel, and we've got name changing :P

So let's say they are Plasteel Boots and we're set :P no need to overcomplicate anything.

EDIT: Whoops! I didn't check out that! Plasteel boots are already in-game!

Then we have the more generic Combat Boots :P
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 10:28 by Adral »
Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2007, 11:00 »

I like the sound of splashing noises. :) I also like Combat Boots, they sound slightly cooler than just steel boots.

Valkeera

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2007, 00:22 »

Splashing sounds sound neat! I would jump with joy were it not for the fact that I actually splashed in a puddle this morning when I was going to work. Fortunately there were no demons around ;-)
Angel of Death 007

Anticheese

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2007, 02:26 »

Drowning? Have you played the original dooms? Seeing as that is what DRL is based off I think that water is fine the way it is now..

Having a "splash" message every 4 or so steps would be really neat though!

As for rust? Thumbs down.
Pages: [1]