TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
Re: Crawl
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2007, 12:14 »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

When it comes to Unseen Horrors, on the other hand, I somewhat disagree. Sure they can be a very large PITA, but if you're willing to blow a few potions of Heal Wounds, or even plain Healing, that can make a spellcaster hold out until the Teleport kicks in. If you are unfortunate enough that the teleport lands you within visual range of the UH again, though, you're SOL.

When I play casters on cave-levels, I tend to hug the walls. If I get an "It hits you!", I immediately reach for my closest source of digging and dig a tunnel into the wall so I have a corridor I can kill it in. Tactics from there on depends on what perishables I have access to and how many HP and how good defense I have.
Although teleportation and healing are obviously useful, these tend to fail me on too regular a basis (mostly by spawning badly). Obviously not always, as UH's aren't usually the end of my games, but they've made short work of many good chars of mine, and as I was later considering what I had done wrong, often no alternative path seems nearly airtight.
The cave-dig system I hadn't considered much, however. Possibly because I can usually fend off an UH by the time I can dig, but either way, I'll be sticking to this one. Tnx.

Elethiomel

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2007, 15:34 »

When it comes to Unseen Horrors, on the other hand, I somewhat disagree. Sure they can be a very large PITA, but if you're willing to blow a few potions of Heal Wounds, or even plain Healing, that can make a spellcaster hold out until the Teleport kicks in. If you are unfortunate enough that the teleport lands you within visual range of the UH again, though, you're SOL.

When I play casters on cave-levels, I tend to hug the walls. If I get an "It hits you!", I immediately reach for my closest source of digging and dig a tunnel into the wall so I have a corridor I can kill it in. Tactics from there on depends on what perishables I have access to and how many HP and how good defense I have.
Although teleportation and healing are obviously useful, these tend to fail me on too regular a basis (mostly by spawning badly). Obviously not always, as UH's aren't usually the end of my games, but they've made short work of many good chars of mine, and as I was later considering what I had done wrong, often no alternative path seems nearly airtight.

Yeah, UHs are tricky with the escape from them being "airtight". There's the old standby of having poison resistance (well, or not. It works without also, but is more risky) and firing Poison Cloud or Evaporate at yourself so that the UH *has* to advance through it and thus becoming confused for long enough for the teleport to kick in. If your teleport puts you close to the UH, you should now know which direction it comes from and lay down more confuzzling clouds.

The cave-dig system I hadn't considered much, however. Possibly because I can usually fend off an UH by the time I can dig, but either way, I'll be sticking to this one. Tnx.

Yeah, well... a Wand of Digging is gold. Finding one early makes many things easier, not only UHs, but I seldom learn the Dig spell except for the Hive (dig around the lake instead of flying over it) and Hellrunning (Magic Map, Dig, go down the stairs, repeat), and I skip it for those areas if I don't have Selective Amnesia - it is too slot-intensive for anywhere I don't have a particular and specific use for it. Wands are usually enough.

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2007, 04:31 »

Yeah, UHs are tricky with the escape from them being "airtight". There's the old standby of having poison resistance (well, or not. It works without also, but is more risky) and firing Poison Cloud or Evaporate at yourself so that the UH *has* to advance through it and thus becoming confused for long enough for the teleport to kick in. If your teleport puts you close to the UH, you should now know which direction it comes from and lay down more confuzzling clouds.
Poison Cloud's another one where I'm likely to be able to deal with UHs easily by the time I have it, assuming I'm even practicing poison magic. Evaporate's a much easier spell, but it's also rather rare. Otherwise, I agree, and it's probably worth the risk even without poison protection.

Yeah, well... a Wand of Digging is gold. Finding one early makes many things easier, not only UHs, but I seldom learn the Dig spell except for the Hive (dig around the lake instead of flying over it) and Hellrunning (Magic Map, Dig, go down the stairs, repeat), and I skip it for those areas if I don't have Selective Amnesia - it is too slot-intensive for anywhere I don't have a particular and specific use for it. Wands are usually enough.
I try to always learn Dig, as I tend to also keep pets, and I hate having them stuck behind a corner. Walking them out carefully costs valuable food. Vaporising walls makes that much less frequent an issue. There's also Recall, but it isn't as utilitary, and doesn't help me if I'm trying to make room for my pets in the midst of battle (or in preparation). Free digging's also great for Pandemonium, where some vaults require Dig to get through, and where there's a very good chance of being cornered by hordes of demons. Facing them one at a time's a life saver, mostly if a 5's blocking an Executioner.

RickVoid

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2007, 11:41 »

Well, I've been trying to play with multiple characters. DemiGod/DemonSpawn Reavers seem to be playable, but because I suck I don't get very far. Ditto with Draconians of any class. I managed to get a Troll Berserker to CharLvl 9, DungeonLvl 9, but that's the farthest I've gotten before or since. (It's also my over 4,000 pt game. The only game so far in which I've broken 1,000 pts, mostly because I got a +11,+12 Longsword from Trog. (Might've been randart, I don't remember.) That I didn't end up using, because I was going with unarmed attacks. Doh!!)

Kobolds seem like an interesting race to play as, but I typically get pwned by others of my kind. (They often wield elven/dwarven/orcish short swords. Bastards.) I wonder if there is a baby down there my Kobold could eat...

On a similar topic, I found a slice of pizza on lvl 1 of the dungeon. Swear to Trog.

I love this game.
Campbell: Snake, press the action button.
Snake: ... What?
Campbell: The action button, on the control pad.
Snake: What!?

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2007, 09:09 »

Ah, and which kind of pizza was it? :)

I terribly dislike Reavers. They mean splitting your starting skills too many ways, and for what? Class has no real long-term effect, if you don't want it to have. By playing a more focused class you can almost always better survive the first few dlvls. After that, your starting class hardly matters anyway.

Have you played a Demonspawn Chaos Knight of Makhleb yet?

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2007, 09:46 »

Khe he he, classic - most of my characters when I first started playing ToME were Demonspawn Chaos Knights of Makhleb :)
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2007, 10:23 »

Heh that's funny, I play reavers most of the time, and I value their survivalability :)
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

RickVoid

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2007, 13:06 »

Yes, I have tried Demonspawn Chaos Knights of Mahkleb.
I just never seem to get very far with them. I think it's a combination of "W00T, I AM TEH DEMON!!!" retardation mixed up with never running away, and never being hungry when there's a corpse readily available. (And good luck finding one when I am... grr.)
Any way, I'll just have to keep on keeping on.

And I think the pizza was pepparoni. :)

maso

• Elder
  • Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2007, 17:42 »

Dont know if it has been mentioned in this thread you can play at crawl.akrasiac.org online and watch others struggle to beat the game. Also you can nose at other peoples mortems etc. What I like about this game that every character has good chance of winning with enough due care and attention after the early game lottery.
edit:oops use the search
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 17:48 by maso »

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2007, 12:32 »

Heh that's funny, I play reavers most of the time, and I value their survivalability :)
Then please do explain them to me! :)

Khe he he, classic - most of my characters when I first started playing ToME were Demonspawn Chaos Knights of Makhleb :)
Don't you mean Crawl?
In that case, same here :) My first (and currently only) win is one.

I just never seem to get very far with them. I think it's a combination of "W00T, I AM TEH DEMON!!!" retardation mixed up with never running away, and never being hungry when there's a corpse readily available. (And good luck finding one when I am... grr.)
Heheheh... Yeah, that's something to get through :P
Consider you start up mostly human, or even less. Your demon-blood only comes into play later, and only after a few such "evilutions" it's time to start feeling uber :D

Thanks, and yes, akrasiac has been discussed. Problem is that (at least for me) it lags too much to be worth my while. I've tried PuTTy, and although that cleared up the page draw issue, it still lags like hell. I've also proposed a system to reduce lag (I'll find the page later...). Any other ideas for me?

Zephyre Syx

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2007, 17:18 »

My telnet display is completely screwed up.  I love to watch, but not if it's all choppy'n shi... er,...y'all have that problem or it's just me?
"Nah, it's not that those ideas are bad, I'm just trying to show you why I think my way of thinking is better."
-Kornel Kisielewicz

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2007, 10:32 »

Quote from: Malek on March 31, 2007, 17:46:07
Don't you mean Crawl?
In that case, same here :) My first (and currently only) win is one.
Yeah, Crawl... been playing too much ToME when I posted that and got it mixed up.

As for crawl.akrasiac.org I'd play but default Win XP telnet client is screwy, and the only semi-normal other client that I found freezez for some reson after some time. (Dunno why, it just stops refershing or smth.)
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2007, 11:08 »

Before you write off crawl.akrasic.org, you really ought to try it with PuTTY first.  That solved my problems with the standard telnet utility, though lag probably depends on your connection.

If you like the result, be sure to set it up in the options so that the keyboard controls are NetHack style (at least, you should if you'd rather use the numpad for movement instead of the vi-keys [yuihklnm,]).

EDIT: A special place has appeared.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 01:13 by BDR »

RickVoid

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 23, 2007, 12:24 »

Still trying to get anywhere with my Demonspawn Chaos Knights of Maklehb.

Quick question about the Demon mutations. Are they completely random as to when and what you get? I once got two horn mutations at level 2, and on another ocassion an eyesight at level 4, with nothing before that. I've even gotten to level 6 with no mutations! :X

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 23, 2007, 22:56 »

There are certain mutations (which are supposedly worth their weight in gold) that you can only get after level 10, and some that you only receive before level 10.  Specifics can be found within the links on the akrasiac website.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6