Chaosforge Forum

• April 26, 2024, 03:31
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Reload while moving  (Read 4477 times)

qeurul

• Private FC
    • View Profile
Reload while moving
« on: February 05, 2007, 00:30 »

I didnt find this anywhere on the forums, but sorry if its mentioned somewhere before:) So I'd like to see an option to reload while moving, as you could do in real Doom. This was (and would be in rl.. roguelike, not neccessarely in RL) a good way of using double barrel shotgun in original doom, so rush in and reload while escaping.

I believe this would require a third (!) reload key, but here's how it could work. So basically you rush the door, shoot, and then press 'reload while moving' key. Nothing happens yet and you stand still, but when you retreat from the door, doomguy reloads at the same time you're moving back.

What do you say?

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
Re: Reload while moving
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 05:39 »

Shottyman I say :)

EDIT: Ok, some more info -- check out the special trait that needs two levels of Reloader xD
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 05:42 by Kornel Kisielewicz »
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 12:20 »

That aside, wouldn't it be a better idea to not have to press a button in order to reload while moving, but just make it automatic anyway...? I mean, ther's no reason not to, at least the way you described it.

qeurul

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 00:57 »

I think not, because in most cases reloading takes more time than simply moving to a next square (especially when you do not have reload perks). And if you are under too hot fire, you dont want to waste any additional AP's for reloading, but to escape as fast as possible.

Isnt it true Kornel? :)

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 08:14 »

Most likely, but you didn't mention that in your first post :P

Anyway, if this were introduced, you still wouldn't need a third reload key. You'd 'r'eload which would do nothing yet (like you wrote), and then either move or wait. A wait would cost (these are not necessarily the correct numbers) 10 ticks, the normal cost of reloading, and a move'd cost 14, a blend of a move and reload, each at 2/3 cost of the original 10, rounded up.

qeurul

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 14:26 »

Fair enough, I agree that there should be a little draw back in ticks while reloading with moving.

Should 'tactics' affect on tick cost of reload? Like load slower with lover change-to-hit, or load faster with higher chance-to-hit, while moving. Dunno, came up with last second I was about to press 'Post' and wrote it down in 30secs :)

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 13:02 »

I really don't like the idea of tactics affecting reload times.  One thing I like about tactics is that you can do whatever you please with whatever tactics you want and the only change that tactics makes is how often you hit and how often the bad guys (if there's any left) hit you.  If tactics changed to also affect the time spent on actions it would make things a lot more frustrating (and I can do that to myself very well by simply not using a medkit when I should and get an otherwise excellent marine killed, thank you very much).

Fingerzam

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007, 10:35 »

I really don't like the idea of tactics affecting reload times.  One thing I like about tactics is that you can do whatever you please with whatever tactics you want and the only change that tactics makes is how often you hit and how often the bad guys (if there's any left) hit you.  If tactics changed to also affect the time spent on actions it would make things a lot more frustrating (and I can do that to myself very well by simply not using a medkit when I should and get an otherwise excellent marine killed, thank you very much).

As far as I know, tactic already affects moving and shooting speed, though very little.

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2007, 01:51 »

Then very little is where it should stay.. >_> How much does it change things?  By 50 energy or less, or by more than that?

qeurul

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 07:31 »

But if we forget the tactics debate on this thread, would the new optional reloading system be good?

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2007, 11:59 »

As Kornel had already said, there IS a trait to enable reload while moving. Making it a natural option would work against current game balance. So, this conversation's highly theoretical as it is. Putting also tactics aside's like discussing an entirely different game :)

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2007, 11:43 »

Tactics are going to be completely redesigned, so it's a futuile talk anyway :/
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz
Pages: [1]