Chaosforge Forum

• March 19, 2024, 04:06
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Gameplay and Background Ideas  (Read 22648 times)

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
Gameplay and Background Ideas
« on: December 02, 2013, 12:10 »

Though, while I'm on a rant here, lemme rattle off an idea (greatly inspired/stolen from an Android game called Hoplite) which would make melee fights (if those would be a thing in Jupiter Hell) more interesting: make melee attacking/defending based on the last move action the character took. Moving toward the target would be full offense. Moving away would be full defense. Moving along side would be some offense, greater chance to dodge. Standing in place would be balanced. Every time you end a move in a space adjacent to an enemy, you automatically make a melee attack (if you have a melee weapon/fists). For multiple enemies, you would be prompted to choose which. So if you moved between two enemies to reach a third, you could do a full attack on that one, while having a greater chance to dodge the sides. Or you could back away from one enemy to attack another. This would take some balancing, of course, and would probably be better in a melee-oriented game than a shooter, since it would be significantly more noticeable there.

And this, Thiebs, is how it's done :)

If the stuff you've been seeing and hearing about Jupiter Hell so far leaves you inspired in any way, feel free to share any spark on this thread. Whether it's about items, monsters, systems, levels, bits of story, just let it all out. If, like Thiebs above, you have clearly gotten your inspiration from another game/story/movie/etc, please state which.

Any idea goes, even it's in the vein of DoomRL's Horrible Ideas Thread.

Impress us!
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

Thiebs

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Totally Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Gameplay and Background Ideas
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 04:09 »

Awesome! I'll keep the ol' noggin churning, and we'll see if I have any more ideas. Thanks!
0.9.9.7- Hell Baron 1st Lieutenant: (23|13|5|0|0)

Thiebs

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Totally Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 06:03 »

Was just watching one of the Mortem post videos (this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEGKushTuBQ&feature=youtu.be, from Sylph), and noticed for the first time that one can fire a round into nothing as a way to skip less than a second. Why not just make the wait command skip the smallest time increment by default, then, if it's needed, give a second, less conveniently placed button for skipping 1, 5, 100 or however many is appropriate seconds? Dungeon Crawl already has two buttons for this, I just never got why someone was physically incapable of standing still for less than a second at a time.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 06:11 »

This has also been the subject of debate for DoomRL itself - at least, I assume you're posting this as an idea for Jupiter Hell, judging by the thread you're posting it into. Good point, though if you ask me. Anybody know what the status for this in regard to DoomRL is?

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 06:34 »

It's too meta to be fun. Offers some tactical depth, but would also introduce unfun counting. The game should be fast and streamlined, not a time-related sudoku.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 06:40 »

Firing at nothing it is (:

Thiebs

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Totally Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 08:28 »

So that makes sense. However, did anyone consider changing the way waiting works? Since the tactical application is almost always just waiting for an enemy to move without risking it getting a free hit, why not have the wait key default to 1 sec (or whatever is standard), but automatically interrupt if an enemy you can see (or within X spaces of you, etc.) takes an action? It seems like that would solve both problems nicely, though I have no idea how troublesome it would be to code...

emulord

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 11:05 »

The thing is, if you can wait at .01 second intervals, you ALWAYS can get the first hit.
Angel of max carnage is immediately super easy.

I think wait time should be a static amount of time (1.0s), unless you have survivalist or some other master trait that needs to be buffed lol.

Sylph

• Elder
  • Major
  • Galaxy Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 11:25 »

Emulord - the trouble there is, if there are *any* actions that take less than 1.0s, people will use them instead of waiting. At the moment we have dropping items, swapping to the off-hand, firing with finesse, reloading with reloader, walking back and forth with hellrunner... when waiting takes longer than other actions, sensible/optimal players will not use the wait command.

To put this another way, we *already* always get first hit in AoMC, provided we don't use the current (rubishy) wait command, and find other things to do instead.

As a middle-ground, I'd suggest that waiting takes the amount of time of your quickest action in jupiter hell. Alternatively, just have it take less than any other typical action (say, 0.5s in doomrl), or perhaps take the time of your last action?
Badges:
DRL:26 22 22 19 13 6
  JH:15 13 11   7   2

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 12:22 »

As a middle-ground, I'd suggest that waiting takes the amount of time of your quickest action in jupiter hell. Alternatively, just have it take less than any other typical action (say, 0.5s in doomrl), or perhaps take the time of your last action?

Personally I'd say since wait is related to movement, set it to equal your move speed (in either DoomRL or JH). Yes, this spells trouble once move speed >1.0s. Serves you right for wearing such rediculous amounts of armour.

[Or if not equal to, at least relate to it]

emulord

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 16:11 »

Id be fine with Min(reload time, movement time)

"reloading a full gun" is just as much a wait action as "moving onto the same space"

Trar

• Backer
  • Sergeant
  • dsvilsit.wav
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 20:28 »

http://deadendsolutions.wordpress.com/doom-fiction/

Excellent fan-fiction novellas. I am posting them here because I feel they could act as sources of inspiration, with some of the stuff in them...that, and they're great reads.
0.0.9.7: Former Human Lance Corporal

insightguy

• Bronze Supporter
  • Supporter
  • Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2013, 07:01 »

5 Things:

1. Is an x-com style cover system. It at least gives players a choice of strategic good/strategic cover, bullet dodging or a combination of both, all being viable tactics.

2. "Decoy" weapons like gas grenades, flash bangs, sound decoys, holograms and etc. to help with stealth/distraction?

3. An info "research" system where in certain information about enemies can be used against them (With a required need of equipment) (disabling shots, more damage and other effects) Info should be gained by terminals or other means, like a research "gun" (heh) That can scan enemies, (preferably one-two use only). And of course, this does not carry on.

4. (OPTIONAL and CAN BE TOGGLED) An FPS cam? I know this is a gimmick, but it may help with immersion...maybe use it as a sort of "angel" challenge where you can only see line of sight or even just a small section of the hud.

5. Separate ammo types with different advantages and disadvantages and varying rarity. (ex. incendiary rounds are more powerful or causes DOT but has less accuracy/ less range.)

Thiebs

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Totally Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2013, 07:53 »

So I finally got around to reading the first story on that link, (it was good, would recommend) and thought of a neat gadget that could be included as a mid-to-late game random or a special level reward. Here goes: It would be like the Portal gun, making two way portals (one for each fire mode, connected to the other), with a twist. Anybody who steps into one end, or is on a square where one is shot, instantly teleports to the other, but with a chance of bringing a random demon or two out of the portal with them. Also, such balance issues as cost in energy cells (or equivalent, maybe even the users blood..) and likelihood of spawning enemies would be big things. But it could be neat stuff. (Maybe also limit it to portals disappearing once you can't see them.)

Trar

• Backer
  • Sergeant
  • dsvilsit.wav
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2013, 16:29 »

^ That idea sounds good.

I'd also like to see some form of maintenance/ventilation system we can try and scurry around in. Keyword being 'try'.

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2013, 16:46 »

I'd also like to see some form of maintenance/ventilation system we can try and scurry around in. Keyword being 'try'.
Well, this would probably have to come out as a (something of a) floor generator of a pseudo-second floor, and if should have any sense, it needs to be well connected to the ground floor.
I like this concept, I like it a lot. On the other hand, really, I would not like to be the one to develop it.
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

Sylph

• Elder
  • Major
  • Galaxy Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2013, 16:53 »

How about this ventilation-system level being a 'secret exit' from one of the standard levels, that actually SKIPS content (so, it takes you from, say, hell's arena to phobos 6 (equivalent)), but features:

- zero monsters
- a real-life time limit
- a horrendously claustrophobic maze (like the old doomrl maze levels, when they were 1 tile wide)
- potential rewards equalling levels skipped (though it would be impractical to find them all), so in this example a chainsaw and a few modpacks...
- angel of darkness-style lack of map history

Or something to that effect.
The idea is, a ventilation level that a player can use to skip content, but is extremely high-risk. There was a level similar to this in 'alien breed' (an amazing old amiga game) that featured dramatic music and alarms and the like, and was a really memorable part of the experience for most players, despite (or perhaps because of) it's total lack of aliens to fight... I'll find a youtube link...
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 02:28 by Sylph »
Badges:

Sylph

• Elder
  • Major
  • Galaxy Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2013, 17:02 »

Somewhat like this level. Very atmospheric when the lights go out.

Extra good if you increase claustrophobia with no memory-mapping (think angel of darkness).
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 17:03 by Sylph »
Badges:

Thiebs

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Totally Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2013, 05:58 »

So this is more of a throw-away idea, maybe like an easter egg or something, but I was 'discussing' eugenics today with a couple of guys at work, and it occurred to me that certain almost-unanimously evil figures (Stalin, Hitler, etc.) could be found within hell. It seems like a big bad boss that's been led up to for several levels turning out to be some short dude with half a moustache would be rather underwhelming, but it'd be fun to occasionally take aim at a former, only to have it be Hitler or some such. Then, BOOM goes the shotty: instant gratification.

(This also assumes that the 'Hell' in question is the traditional one, not a hellish alien planet or some such thing...)

Trar

• Backer
  • Sergeant
  • dsvilsit.wav
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2014, 20:28 »

I second the inclusion of Hitler and Stalin in DOOMRL.

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Angel of Overconfidence
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2014, 20:51 »

I recall reading something about Jupiter Hell which mentioned two classes of demonic opponents, one of which was sort of a Lovecraftian/Eldritch/Nightmare Horror type entity.

Any thoughts on including a Sanity system, like ToME or Eternal Darkness, to allow additional gameplay consequences for dealing with these opponents?
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Medals - DRL 27/43 | XA 16/31

Thiebs

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Totally Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2014, 06:04 »

I don't know how sanity works in those, so forgive me if I'm missing the point, but it would be cool if it worked like this:
Each second you are within X spaces of an insanity-causing monster, your sanity falls by one.
Each second you are away from such monsters, your sanity rises by one.
You start at 5 sanity.
At 4 sanity, you have a chance to do random actions instead of what you want. (Like confusion in Pokemon.)
At 3 sanity, you can't move toward them, but can still move away. (Too scared to approach.)
At 2 sanity, you stop being able to use actions other than moving and attacking.
At 1 sanity, you stop being able to move.
At 0 sanity, you stop being able to control your character. He falls into a simple pre-set behaviour pattern: shoot if he has a loaded gun, drop it and pull another if it runs out, run if he can't shoot or if the horror is within 2 spaces of him. At this point you either kill it while 'blacked out' or get away, or die, but no matter what it should be pretty scary to lose control like that!
If you had a trait like Badass or Berserker, that could let a player have like 3 more starting sanity. That would give melee characters a chance to close, and be somewhat on-theme.

Thiebs

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Totally Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2014, 07:16 »

It would also help the feel of it if you had a visual representation of this, too. Something like swirly semi-transparent black and red mists creeping from the outside edges of the screen inwards, so that at 0 sanity it was almost covered. And text notifications like when you first see it; 'You feel immense dread when you see the horror before you.' Then as sanity falls; 'You start to feel panicky.' 'You are shaking in your boots!' 'You can't think straight!' 'You are frozen by terror!' 'You black out!'

Thiebs

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Totally Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2014, 01:22 »

Cricket.
Cricket.

Anyway... I brought this up in a couple other places, having forgot this was the place for it: I would kindly like to see rifle-type weapons, please!
Kornel already said in another post that rifles were being saved for DoomRL 2, so this is probably already covered, so just take this as a friendly reminder.

Trar

• Backer
  • Sergeant
  • dsvilsit.wav
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2014, 03:20 »

I support the inclusion of rifles. Can't have a game like this without some sort of Alien-esque Pulse Rifle. The DOOM 3 Plasma Rifle was also really cool; I think that could serve as at least an aesthetic inspiration.

A sanity system sounds good, but given that Kornel wanted the game to have a fast pace, it might get in the way of that. I think I'd support a streamlined version, though.

Pereza0

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2014, 13:09 »

I would suggest adding some sort of lightning system, not only for stealth but to spice up the combat.

In most roguelike games ranged combat is kind of dull, without being able to take cover or aim manually it boils down to be able to shoot down enemies when they are within your view radius or not being able to when they are not while at the same time trying to minimize the amount of them that can shoot at you. DoomRL probably has some of the best ranged combat in RLs in general, but maybe it could still be spiced up a little

I think adding a lightning system to the game that influences gunplay and stealth would be fun. Most areas should have the default ambient lightning, making it play similar to regular DoomRL. But other areas (which I will call dark levels) could have no ambient lightning by themselves but instead sprinkled destroyable light sources to change the pace.

This should be the levels of lightning, for example, a point light source like a lantern should create varying levels of lightning around it depending on distance. Shooting a gun also creates a point source of lighting for an instant, letting you take a peek at the area. But of course, there are better ways to go about it than making light and noise to attract monsters.

Level 0: Pitch black.
Only enemies adjacent to the player can be detected and only adjacent tiles are mapped. Great for stealth against enemies whose main way of detecting you is sight, like former humans and machines that operate at the visible spectrum, like security cameras. Not as good against monsters.

Enemies that shoot in your direction take a huge penalty to accuracy if they shoot you while you are in the dark. Same goes for you. Whoever it also has disadvantages, reloading and usage of inventory items takes longer unless you are using some item or trait that improves your visibility.
This is the kind of lightning present in areas with no sort of lightning whatsoever, like completely enclosed rooms. This areas are rare, most of dark levels will use level 1 lightning instead when there are no sources of light nearby.

Level 1: Very dark.

You can see and shoot enemies up to three-four tiles away with no penalty. Further away than that you start having trouble hitting them and even detecting them. Further than 4 tiles you can detect their presence but you can't see what kind of enemy it is. Further than that you can't see them at all. Accuracy penalties are not as steep, but they are still there. No penalty to speed while managing inventory or such.

The mapping of the area is only reduced by two tiles. For the most part, dark levels use this lightning, switching to level 2 as you approach lightning sources.

Level 2: Dark

The default lightning level for most of the game, which is to say, the ambient lightning in regular non-dark levels. Works like DoomRL did or whatever is the default in Jupiter Hell.

In dark levels it acts like a transition between Levels 1 and 3: Enemies in level 2 lightning areas will be detected, recognized and shot as if they were in the above (default lightning level). Same goes for the player. This is the kind of lighting present when there a light source illuminating the area directly, but somewhat far from where you currently are.

Level 3: Light
This is the lightning level when close to a light source. When standing in it inventory management and reload speed, accuracy (even against enemies in the dark, though not enough offset the defense the dark provides) is increased. But at the same time, accuracy towards you while standing in it is also increased and the radius at which someone standing in a light area can be targeted is 1.25 times the regular one.

Level 3: Light Source
Same as above, but with a catch. Light sources only occupy one tile, but their location is always known as long as you have direct line of sight to them (it shows up on the map or maybe as a cursor), same for monsters.

Light sources can be objects (maybe barrels on fire that can be pushed or shot to destroy them, also, lamps), maybe a special type of monster or the player's flashlight.

There could be interesting mechanics with light, for example, against armed former humans hiding in the dark could certainly help against them. But of course, they should be smart enough to know this and avoid it. However the player could force them into the light by using flares (maybe throwable items?), switches to turn on the light in their area while basking in the dark himself.

Against monsters and demons, because of their nature I don't think darkness would be a huge problem to them, so the player should do the opposite, try to light everything as much as possible for the increased range and extra benefits. Light maybe should also hurt or make the monsters less of a threat in someway, while staying in the dark exposes you to being mauled.
So in a nutshell, former humans are better dealt with from the dark, monsters are better dealt with from the light. This forces the players to decide which considers a bigger threat and act accordingly.

There should also be items meant (and maybe selectable traits) for the different situations. Night vision googles are meant for exploring the darkness, but can break easily during combat and their electromagnetic activity can make defense sentries and robots detect you. The flashlight lights up the area but exposes you to former humans and things with good eyesight. Traversing the darkness blind exposes you to monsters.  Night vision scope increases your accuracy in the dark but does not actually help at navigating dark areas.

Maybe there should be more to the mechanics, maybe they are too complicated, but overall, I think maybe having some of these system might make things more fun (though slower paced) to some degree, what do you think?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 13:15 by Pereza0 »

Trar

• Backer
  • Sergeant
  • dsvilsit.wav
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2014, 21:48 »

I like the lighting system better than the sanity system, FWIW.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2014, 16:09 »

Sorry for being silent lately, let's get on with it!

1. Cover system will probably be included. We're still thinking on how to make it work without the need for a shitload of new animations though.
2. Lighting will be much more complex than in DoomRL and AliensRL - there's a lot of planning on level "themes" that introduce some sort of general obstacle. Low light levels with melee enemies was one of them. Also, vision and light will be separate - both will be needed to see (unless proper equipment is used ;) )
3. Sanity system might make it, although I don't want to go overboard here -- a corruption system will however be in, and be tied to stuff that usually causes sanity loss.
4. JH will have a much more varied arsenal in terms of basic weapons than DoomRL did - we're not bound by any IP, so expect both old-time favorites (double shotguns) as well as shiny newcomers (assault rifles, flamethrowers, etc).
5. Pereza0, you're lighting post is something I bookmark for future reference, thanks!
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Arron Syaoran

• Sergeant
  • Former Android(Now Human) Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2014, 17:48 »

I got some ideas for Jupiter Hell, but I held it off since the thread was old and worried about necroposting:
1. Make use of the 3rd Dimension for High Ground Advantage, such as Catwalks and Balconies(possibly with low walls/cover options)
2. More Damage Types than DoomRL, especially when it comes to Player/Enemy weapon damage.
3. More defensive strategies. I always hated how DoomRL didn't let you attempt to Dodge a bullet and return fire without the enemy firing twice unless you picked a
   specific master trait. In cases without cover, what's the point of dodging if your next offensive move will most likely force you to get hit? Some enemies should also
   employ some of these defensive strategies, but only if the enemy in question is smart enough to do so. Other enemies would probably just run up to you and shoot
   you.
4. More Varying Badges for each tier(like 30-40 equivalent difficulty badges instead of ~26, each with unique ways to achieve them).
5. More Challenges, and Possibly some "Facilities", which are opposite from challenges in difficulty, making the game SLIGHTLY easier, but still restrictive,
    such as Angel of Chaingunnery or Angel of Barrel Destruction, which forces you to destroy every explosive barrel before the stairs become usable(they still appear
   even if none of the barrels have been destroyed yet.) Angel of Barrel Destruction would be balanced by forcing Levers to not spawn at all. Who else hates those
   Acid/Lava Barrels?
Was forced to discard my Moustache, long hair and Bandana when I joined the UAC.
Hell Baron Major(0.9.9.7G)
[24|18|9|1|0|0]

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2014, 17:54 »

1. we consider that, but only as long as it's flat from top down view. Might be tricky to represent in the ASCII client version though.
2. granted
3. cover + dodge are the current mains. Once we have a playable prototype we'll probably ask for more input/brainstorming
4. people seem to have either a love or hate relation to badges - but we definitively want to have more, and tie them more into the game
5. apart from regular challenge games, we plan on adding additional character classes that represent a challenge. Actually any class apart from the core 3 (or 5) will be considered a challenge class and significantly harder than a regular game, but at the same time giving you cool powers/possibilities not available to a regular class
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Arron Syaoran

• Sergeant
  • Former Android(Now Human) Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2014, 19:07 »

challenge classes would definitely be more interesting than simply Angel of "Insert challenge here".
Was forced to discard my Moustache, long hair and Bandana when I joined the UAC.
Hell Baron Major(0.9.9.7G)
[24|18|9|1|0|0]
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]