Chaosforge Forum

• April 28, 2024, 08:50
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Doom, id, and copyright issues  (Read 18960 times)

Almafeta

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Doom, id, and copyright issues
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2007, 11:32 »

And HellRL has a great ring to it :)

Maybe this could be a branch game, enabling many new additions both through legal rights and a lack of context restriction (i.e. "undoomish"'ll be much less of an argument).

Imagine a game like DiabloRL.  Instead of having one dungeon that you go through sequentially, there is a randomly-generated 'overland' that represents a Hell-infested city.  In the beginning you are simply trying to clear out skyscrapers (a la DialboRL's dungeons) to take the city back from the undead, but as Hell begins to take the war to the city directly, you have to descend directly into different pockets of hell...

It wouldn't be quite so 'Coffeebreak'-y, but then again, Kornel's epitomized that genre with Berserk.  ^^;

MadCoder

« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2007, 16:10 »

Yeah, that's a sweet idea Almafeta.  Could be kinda like 'Escape from New York,' with destroyed/abandoned buildings, wrecked cars, etc.  Could find all kinds of 'goodies' throughout the buildings - from weapons and ammo, to food, computers, etc.

There could be certain locations that help the player, like a clinic of hospital that can heal the player.  The downdside to this always being available is that the player would have to travel (and fight) to get there.   The place also might want a fee or tade for something.

Other places might be a police station (guns and equipment), grocery store (food), gas station (fuel/oil), etc.

There might also be humans still alive, fighting the enemies, or running scared.

After clearing out much of the surface, the sewers would need to be fought in, and that might lead to the Hellgate.

If enough thought was put into it, it could really have lots of neat twists.

xwdishere

• Private FC
  • Now I'm radioactive! That can't be good!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2007, 19:28 »

If you're not allowed to use the files based on Doom, you could look to the Freedoom project for inspiration. That was a project to allow people to be able to use a Doom source port without having the original pwad file.
Anyway, I agree with people who say id software shouldn't be too upset about DoomRL. Playing DoomRL is not going to keep me from buying any of their products, since it is a fan game. Remember Doom 2D?

Gamera

• Elder
  • Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2007, 05:16 »

Sounds like alphaman a bit haha. That was a neat game if a bit unpolished and unbalanced. I want an AlienDoomRL now dammit. Or a PredatorsVsAlienDoomRL!

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2007, 11:27 »

Gamera, don't loose your hope, and check the forums around the 12th of March ;].

As for the hell city, don't you guys remember what DoomRL writes on a final ending? ;]]]]
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Gamera

• Elder
  • Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2007, 05:50 »

I wouldn't know what the ending says Kornel you made the game too hard!

MadCoder

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2007, 10:20 »

Gamera, don't loose your hope, and check the forums around the 12th of March ;].

As for the hell city, don't you guys remember what DoomRL writes on a final ending? ;]]]]

Could there be an AliensRL in the works?!?  Could it be released March 12th?!?

One can only hope...
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All