Chaosforge Forum

• April 27, 2024, 23:29
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: New Artifact Item: Special Boots  (Read 3145 times)

The Buttery Lobster

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
New Artifact Item: Special Boots
« on: March 03, 2007, 00:50 »

We've got a unique melee weapon, a unique armor, lots of unique guns, we need a unique pair of boots! I know this suggestion popped up in the forums, but I couldn't find it, so I'm putting it right here.

I don't know where you'd find em, but just like the A. Armor or the L.S., you could get magic boots that do... I don't know, something magic.

Name suggestions, off the top of my head: Sandals of Icarus (not really Doomish, Greek Mythology), Boots of the Deep, Sandals of the Furies (a reference to greek myth but ALSO a reference to Dante's Inferno) Greaves of Chiron (again, greek myth and Dante's Inferno), or, lastly, and see the water suggestion for this, "Flippers of the Zora" (working title)

Personal opinion, I like "Sandals of the Furies."

Boot Functionality: Any number of things! They could, of course, do the same old thing: just be really powerful boots: 16/16 or 12/12.

They could teleport you once per level, at will, as if you always had at least one phase device in your posession, use it by using the boots like items.

They could increase your speed a little like the hellrunner trait

They could increase your speed a LOT once per level, as if you were at beserk speed, activated by "U"sing the boots as items.

They could fly, meaning you can't pick up items (if only activated once per level) or totally ignore acid, lava, and water (too overpowered, if you ask me, unless you activate it once per level.) Again, activate it like an item.

If you call them flippers of the zora, you could use that water some more-- maybe submerge yourself in the water, giving added damage reduction/reduced to hit? Or increased speed in the water? Something.

They could allow you to move very quietly, reducing the monsters ability to notice you, effectively lowering their site radius, or something.

HERE is an idea i REALLY like, please consider this:
The boots could allow you to "dash" in a straight line, up to a certain number of squares. This would be done as follows. You activate the boots like an item, or press some keybind button, and the targeting screen comes up. You can move the target so many spaces away from you, say, i don't know, 4 spaces, and then there's an animation of your little @ sign moving over to that square, really fast. No time/rounds would pass during this period. In effect, it's a controlled telport a short distance away, basically the "Controlled Blink" spell in Linley's Dungeon crawl but with a cooler animation. This could be REALLY REALLY powerful, so the DOWNside is that  first and foremost, it's really short ranged, and either A. you could only do it once per level, or B. using this "dash" skill damages the boots AND can only be done every so often-like, once every "three minutes" or so. (I don't know how game rounds operate, so sue me.)

They could allow you to kick, Duke Nukem Style, so each melee attack you make WITHOUT a knife or chainsaw or LS adds knockback to your attack. (So, whenever you melee with a gun, or are unarmed, you knockback your enemy.) This one could be good or bad, or way too overpowered. Discuss, please!

Edit: Found the boots suggestion-- it's the very last one in this forum area.
Credits to the original forum thread, but I'll put it here too:

They could prevent knockback, stopping those pesky seargents from blasting you three spaces backwards into that hot lava!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 00:53 by The Buttery Lobster »

Valkeera

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: New Artifact Item: Special Boots
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 03:17 »

I think I suggested something like "Heavenly Boots" in one of the previous topics. The basic idea was just stronger boots (16/16 as you suugested :-)), but I like the increased speed too. I'm not in favor of the additional special effects though.
Angel of Death 007

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 04:19 »

"Just stronger boots" won't work IMO. I mean, ask yourself do yuo really care for boots at the moment? From my experiences at last you pick them up once and than forget about them for the rest of the game... I don't recall having boots actually destroyrd during playing.
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

Fingerzam

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 09:38 »

They could increase your speed a little like the hellrunner trait
They could prevent knockback, stopping those pesky seargents from blasting you three spaces backwards into that hot lava!

These sound reasonable, they don't have a too big impact on the game and how you play it, but the effect is noticeable.

They could teleport you once per level, at will, as if you always had at least one phase device in your posession, use it by using the boots like items.
They could increase your speed a LOT once per level, as if you were at beserk speed, activated by "U"sing the boots as items.

These seem too powerful to me, balancing out the effects of these would be a pain and the item would have to appear late in the game.

The first one would reduce the importance of phase devices. The latter would have almost the same result in giving you huge advantage for a single fight. Both would make the game a lot easier once you obtain them.

They could fly, meaning you can't pick up items (if only activated once per level) or totally ignore acid, lava, and water (too overpowered, if you ask me, unless you activate it once per level.) Again, activate it like an item.

If you call them flippers of the zora, you could use that water some more-- maybe submerge yourself in the water, giving added damage reduction/reduced to hit? Or increased speed in the water? Something.

They could allow you to move very quietly, reducing the monsters ability to notice you, effectively lowering their site radius, or something.

These affect how the game works. As lava/acid isn't usually that big of an issue, the first one isn't overpowered to me.

The second one would be a flawor item, but as there isn't much water later in the game, could be just useless.

I don't know if the third one could be easily implemented. Can't really say how big the impact on gameplay would be.

HERE is an idea i REALLY like, please consider this:
The boots could allow you to "dash" in a straight line, up to a certain number of squares. This would be done as follows. You activate the boots like an item, or press some keybind button, and the targeting screen comes up. You can move the target so many spaces away from you, say, i don't know, 4 spaces, and then there's an animation of your little @ sign moving over to that square, really fast. No time/rounds would pass during this period. In effect, it's a controlled telport a short distance away, basically the "Controlled Blink" spell in Linley's Dungeon crawl but with a cooler animation. This could be REALLY REALLY powerful, so the DOWNside is that  first and foremost, it's really short ranged, and either A. you could only do it once per level, or B. using this "dash" skill damages the boots AND can only be done every so often-like, once every "three minutes" or so. (I don't know how game rounds operate, so sue me.)

Well, this is horribly "undoomish". While I guess this could be balanced, it would probably not be so easy. The penalties for using it would have to be quite severe, as this can easily get you out of msot dangerous situations, again making the game quite a lot easier.

They could allow you to kick, Duke Nukem Style, so each melee attack you make WITHOUT a knife or chainsaw or LS adds knockback to your attack. (So, whenever you melee with a gun, or are unarmed, you knockback your enemy.) This one could be good or bad, or way too overpowered. Discuss, please!

I would most of the time see this as a penalty, but I guess I would be kicking demons if I had these.

Boot Functionality: Any number of things! They could, of course, do the same old thing: just be really powerful boots: 16/16 or 12/12.
"Just stronger boots" won't work IMO. I mean, ask yourself do yuo really care for boots at the moment? From my experiences at last you pick them up once and than forget about them for the rest of the game... I don't recall having boots actually destroyrd during playing.

Here I have to agree with Malek. Boots aren't ususally an issue once you get your first pair of plasteel ones.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 07:08 »

I *do* have plans for some special boots, but they'll have to wait in line for other features to be implemented.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 03:39 »

A little late, am I? Sorry for the bump :)

http://forum.chaosforge.org/index.php?topic=632.0
The Heavenly Boots idea's on the fourth message, indeed by Valkeera.

I'm against boots with an "activated power", as it is likely unbalancing and certainly undoomish.
Boots without a speed decrease/with a (small) speed increase sound good. So do boots that make you simply immune to floor hazards.
Pages: [1]