Other Roguelikes > AliensRL

Ideas!

<< < (3/3)

zaimoni:
Weapons with ammo still in them: cf. http://forum.chaosforge.org/index.php?topic=766.msg7367#msg7367 .

pulse rifle/99-round clip: cf. http://angband.oook.cz/rgrm.php?showpost=93625 .  Intentionally nerfed to 60, there were playbalance problems.

I still find it very unusual to actually use up a pulse rifle clip between reloads, but it should be superior to the smartgun in some statistic.

arch_8ngel:
The only gripe I have is that you can find lots of useful heavy weapons out of sequence with finding a gyro stabilizer.
Or, find a gyro stabilizer way too early for it to be safe to wear around while you look for heavy weapons.

For instance, yesterday I found a gyro on floor 1 of the military tower, but no heavy weapons until floor 4, at least.

By the canon of the "Aliens" universe, the Smart Gun has the gyro stabilizer built in as an integral component.  You don't need one without the other.  By comparison, the grenade launcher has no need of a gyro stabilizer, because the gyros entire purpose is to keep you from falling over while the smart gun aims itself and fires at a high rate.  Since the grenade launcher is pitifully underpowered anyway, maybe it shoudn't require the gyro at all (it certainly didn't in the movie)

Also, rather than making the smart gun what is basically a two component weapon (three if you have to count building up a worthwhile supply of ammunition), perhaps it should have the gyro built in, forcing you to strip your heavier armor to wield the bulkier weapon (keeping the post heavy weapon attack/defense balance).  Maybe this would unbalance gameplay, but it would match the concept of the Smart Gun better than treating the gyro stabilizer as a completely separate component.

Perhaps to maintain balance with a "more obtainable" smart gun you reduce the player weapon capacity to a sidearm and a primary weapon (that could be light/medium/heavy).  I think in the movie if they were toting a smart gun...that was it.

While we're at it, how about a flame thrower?  Maybe that could be combined with the addition of "breeding rooms" full of eggs or something that could hatch when disturbed.  It would be safer and more efficient to torch the room that to shoot the eggs and induce the remaining eggs to spawn juves.

Anyway, it's a great game so far.  I killed the queen after a few tries, but was mauled during my escape.  I think that would be the crucial use of the motion sensor.  If all the aliens are immobile unless found on the ascent, then that's fine, it shouldn't do much to expose the unexplored areas.  But on the way down, with all hell breaking loose, it would be good to detect a "safer" route to the bottom of the complex.  Also, if it only shows blips on the map, then you don't know the strength, just the quantity.

I'm looking forward to any upcoming improvements!  Thanks for a great game.

DaEezT:

--- Quote from: arch_8ngel on April 05, 2007, 02:27 ---By the canon of the "Aliens" universe, the Smart Gun has the gyro stabilizer built in as an integral component.  You don't need one without the other.  By comparison, the grenade launcher has no need of a gyro stabilizer, because the gyros entire purpose is to keep you from falling over while the smart gun aims itself and fires at a high rate.  Since the grenade launcher is pitifully underpowered anyway, maybe it shoudn't require the gyro at all (it certainly didn't in the movie)

--- End quote ---
I don't remember a grenade launcher from the movie but ours fires 60mm grens (todays standard is 40mm) and maybe they are so long and hard that they require a gyro ;)
Also, while Aliens is a great inspiration, we don't want to be limited to what is/was shown in the movie. There are also other potential candidates for the heavy weapon slot (like the PIG) and the overall idea is to have a balancing element that basically comes down to firepower vs protection.

--- Quote from: arch_8ngel on April 05, 2007, 02:27 ---Also, rather than making the smart gun what is basically a two component weapon (three if you have to count building up a worthwhile supply of ammunition), perhaps it should have the gyro built in, forcing you to strip your heavier armor to wield the bulkier weapon (keeping the post heavy weapon attack/defense balance).  Maybe this would unbalance gameplay, but it would match the concept of the Smart Gun better than treating the gyro stabilizer as a completely separate component.

--- End quote ---
Having smart gun "bundles" might be interesting. Maybe one bundle as a reward for a side quest or in a special room that always appears in the military tower. But always bundling them together would (partly) defeat the purpose of the slot system.

--- Quote from: arch_8ngel on April 05, 2007, 02:27 ---Perhaps to maintain balance with a "more obtainable" smart gun you reduce the player weapon capacity to a sidearm and a primary weapon (that could be light/medium/heavy).  I think in the movie if they were toting a smart gun...that was it.

--- End quote ---
Nah, I think two slots would be too little. The idea is that the marine has a pistol holster that holds the sidearm (cowboy style at the thigh) and every primary weapon comes with a shoulder strap, so you can carry it slung across your shoulder while you're using another weapon and the heavy weapon is always attached to the armor itself.
Also, in Aliens, at least one of the smart gun marines carried a shotty as backup weapon.

--- Quote from: arch_8ngel on April 05, 2007, 02:27 ---While we're at it, how about a flame thrower?  Maybe that could be combined with the addition of "breeding rooms" full of eggs or something that could hatch when disturbed.  It would be safer and more efficient to torch the room that to shoot the eggs and induce the remaining eggs to spawn juves.

--- End quote ---
Kornel had/has big plans for the flamer, so rest assure that it'll make it into the game at some point. But it'll probably be a heavy weapon :p

arch_8ngel:
I would have thought the Smart Gun marine's shotty was a sawed off (ie. sidearm).  I see your point on balance vs canon though.

As I recall the flamer was attached to the Smart Gun as one system in the movie...you know, the scene where Vasquez is pissed because she can use the flamer but isn't allowed to fire the smart gun because of the cryo lines. But for balance I could see it taking up your heavy slot by itself.

Back on the grenades...if they're going to take a heavy slot and require a gyro, just make them worth a damn.

I'm looking forward to the "real" version once it comes around (just like DiabloRL...killed the Butcher and now I need more!)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version