Chaosforge Forum

• April 27, 2024, 17:35
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: low health warning  (Read 4228 times)

DisaffectedBeta

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
low health warning
« on: September 06, 2007, 08:29 »

I'm moving my idea, inspired by Frozen Depths, over here just in case anyone missed it.  In FD you have a low health warning that forces the player to scroll the text, alerting them that their health is near zero, and cancelling the key buffer.  This helps players who are engrossed in the game snap out of it and look toward healing.

I was happy to read I wasn't the only one who often got into the game enough that I neglected to nurse my health bar.  I'd say a good number of my deaths were preventable because I was paying too much attention to the action and not enough to the tiny red number in the lower left. 

Of course some people will feel that this is unnecessary, and it technically is, just like the auto-run feature is technically unnecessary because some of us can hit the move keys until a monster appears and react to it without any problem.  I'm not one of them, and given the number of people that responded positively, I'd say that it's at least worthy for the suggestion box.

DaEezT

• Greater Elder
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: low health warning
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 10:46 »

Not until I get my firing confirmation :E
"Morality is merely a convention with which men mutually agree to delude themselves. There are no moral facts, just preferences, and one is no better than any other."

DisaffectedBeta

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 11:00 »

I figured you'd be disagreeable, but at least this time it was...  sorta...  constructive in its own way, in that it had an alternative suggestion.

I don't see why these ideas should be mutually exclusive, but I'm guessing that's not really your point.

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 15:25 »

He is not saying they should be mutually exclusive; "Not *until*..." means that your suggestion can only happen once *his* suggestion happens.

DisaffectedBeta

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 00:46 »

I guess you're right, wrong choice of phrasing.

tisiphone

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 13:26 »

Personally, I wouldn’t want the same warning message as you have in Frozen Depths. Not a message that pops up on the screen and makes you press space to go on playing. Reason being it would clash with the feeling that makes you think you’re actually in the middle of the action, which suits DooMRL so well, if you see what I mean.

A similar feature that I would support (morally ;)) is a colour change of the health text and a coloured warning message (similar to what happens when your armour is about to break). It would give you an extra chance to see the error of your ways with out halting the pace of the game. My two cent.
I want my games for entertainment and escapism, not ethics education, thank you very much.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 16:51 »

I made the color of the name of the character go to yellow and red depending on health status.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

DisaffectedBeta

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2007, 14:44 »

I understand what you mean, tisiphone, but when I think about the original Doom, I always knew when I'd taken a big hit, because the red-screen lasted longer than normal.  I could glance down at the fat, red numbers that told me my health and get a good idea.  The numbers are small, and in a corner.  This is unavoidable given the nature of roguelikes. 

The text pauses halt the action anyway (maybe if the text messages themselves were abbreviated a bit as an option those pauses wouldn't be as often).

Thanks Kornel, maybe a color change will be enough.

tisiphone

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2007, 12:04 »

Quote from: Kornel Kisielewicz
I made the color of the name of the character go to yellow and red depending on health status.

Wow, that was quick.
This should definitely help more marines to survive my clumsy care, thank you!! You have my everlasting love <3.
:D

To DisaffectedBeta:
I’m not sure if I understand you’re point, could you expand a bit... I just thought that having to press button X to go on playing could slow down the gameplay and take out a bit of atmosphere of DooMRL. So I wanted to find a solution to the same problem (people not knowing when their health is low) without the drawbacks such as these. Maybe an alternative (although I’m not sure if Kornel would want to implement another solution to the same problem so soon) could be having your screen flash a colour, similar to what happens you pick up a supercharge or level up. A red flash would certainly work well in my mind. The only thing being that some players could get confused between the level up flash and the “you are about to die” flash, which wouldn’t be good :P. In essence I was just giving out ideas to brainstorm, I didn’t actually expect it to get implemented (not that I’m complaining of course:)). 
I want my games for entertainment and escapism, not ethics education, thank you very much.

DisaffectedBeta

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 00:51 »

I guess my argument stemmed from the fact that the action stops anyway, frequently, whenever the text buffer is too large.  At least if it stopped when there was something seriously life-threatening going on, you'd feel it was important enough.  When I miss an important text message, I just scroll back in the text field anyway, so I don't know why we need the [more] breakers unless it has to do with the audio reading stuff for sight-impaired players.

A red flash would be a good warning too, and wouldn't interrupt.  You'd be able to tell the difference between a level up flash and a warning flash because you wouldn't get level up text, and maybe you could combine it with a pain sound from the player.  I was just thinking of a good way that would prevent a player missing it.  The name changing color is good, more changes are better...  but it's not terribly important, I guess.  I know every introduction of a feature means bugs to worry about.
Pages: [1]