Chaosforge Forum

• April 27, 2024, 08:13
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Secrets?  (Read 3831 times)

Sradac

• Corporal
    • View Profile
Secrets?
« on: October 01, 2010, 09:50 »

So why are there no secret doors/rooms in DoomRL?  That was one of the major parts of doom, finding secret areas with goodies in them.  I dont think it would be that hard to implement, there are already vaults/caves generated on levels.  Intuition could reveal the location of these doors.  And to make it so you cant just rocket your way in, make the walls and the door in-destructable.  All you would have to do is bump into the right spot the door is located so they arent impossible to get in.
  Maybe also make it so no demons spawn inside them, that way if someone dosent want to take the time to track down that secret door it dosent hurt their kill count, they just miss out on the bonus items inside.

ZZ

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Secrets?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 10:49 »

Because the level has a fixed map size, so finding these won't be much a problem. In Doom every map had it's unique map size, so you could not track the secret down using the map in most cases. If such thing would be implemented in DoomRL, it would make no sence, because it would not be a secret, it would be a locked room.
I think this would carry no purpose except of limiting level size by extra room.
Put a chainsaw in my coffin. If I go to Hell, I'll need to do some cleaning there.

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 11:35 »

So why are there no secret doors/rooms in DoomRL?  That was one of the major parts of doom, finding secret areas with goodies in them.  I dont think it would be that hard to implement, there are already vaults/caves generated on levels.  Intuition could reveal the location of these doors.  And to make it so you cant just rocket your way in, make the walls and the door in-destructable.  All you would have to do is bump into the right spot the door is located so they arent impossible to get in.
  Maybe also make it so no demons spawn inside them, that way if someone dosent want to take the time to track down that secret door it dosent hurt their kill count, they just miss out on the bonus items inside.
As ZZ stated, there's simply no room for extra areas due to the limited map size (and even if they were added, they'd be pretty obvious, not to mention that walls are destructible). Also, it'd just make me OCD to push every single wall whenever I didn't have Intuition.

However, I am interested in the possibility of there simply being secret doors. They wouldn't be necessary for level completion but may occasionally help the player out of a tight situation: furthermore, monsters would have no sense to use these until opened, making it potentially useful to avoid groups completely.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 02:55 »

Imagine for a moment that a secret door extends off of the known screen - you notice an odd coloured wall tile on the top, press against it, and viola! A new coridoor which will let you pick up some powerups. The screen scrolls upwards while you explore the (relatively small) space, and back down as you make your way back to the normal screen.

These could potentially spawn off of every level, with the exception of perhaps some of the special levels. It could work.
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 06:50 »

I fear this is an invitation for metagaming hell, at least in the ideas current form/s.
What's certain to me is that Intuition should have nothing to do with this - that would make an already powerful trait unnecessarily more powerful.

This has been discussed at least a few times in the past, and IIRC ideas were raised for rooms which spawn into the level via lever, rooms under the floor, and many others. Anyone with the time might want to run a search and try digging up the threads for insight into their conclusions.

EDIT: Found this thread for now. There were longer, more involved ones IIRC.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 06:55 by TFoN »

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 07:36 »

I whole-heartly agree with TFoN... I don't think secrets in DoomRL can contribute anything to the fun or strategy.
In Doom, it was fun and satisfactory to go look for secret areas and get cool extra items in reward.
In DoomRL, after you explored the whole non-secret part of the level, you'll see which areas are unexplored yet, all that's left to do would just be search around for the hidden door (which is really just an annoyance that can't be any fun) and get the secret stuff for the completeness.
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 11:11 »

Considering that we are not really tracking how much coverage of a map or the "secret percentage" a la vanilla Doom, I'm voting no on this idea also.

Now, for DoomRL 2... this might be possible, depending on the direction that Kornel would like to take.
I computed, therefore I was.

Fanta Hege

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Will it work? I HAVE NO IDEA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2010, 11:14 »

Honestly, in this current form I don't think it would work out too well.
However I wouldn't mind seeing secret special level entrances under common wall you accidently blew up that can be used to exit the level early for a special level with little bit of goodies...
i dont even know anymore

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 13:02 »

However I wouldn't mind seeing secret special level entrances under common wall you accidently blew up that can be used to exit the level early for a special level with little bit of goodies...
Hmm... actually that does sound like a good idea to me :)
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!
Pages: [1]