Chaosforge Forum

• July 06, 2020, 03:14
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79]

Author Topic: Quick questions thread!  (Read 198466 times)

ih8regin

• Captain
  • You dodge! The Cyberdemon dies.
    • View Profile
Re: Quick questions thread!
« Reply #1170 on: April 11, 2020, 21:56 »

Intuition 2, then don't enter the monster's range on your turn, let them wander into your vicinity instead. I learned this trick watching one of Tormuse's videos when I finally gave up on trying to figure it out myself - even if it ended up as simple as this. That is, maneuver so that the yet-invisible monster would be marked at the very edge of your FOV, both before and after your move, thus if he'd get closer you will have the first chance to act. Doorways and ambushes aside, of course. With doorways, you would need a lure or wait until all enemies (detectable ofc) on the other side of the door are close to the wall with the door so that they won't see you entering the square with the door. With ambushes, I believe your best bet would be using phase devices prior to an ambush or right after it like in City of Skulls.
0.9.9.6: Cacodemon 2nd Lieutenant, wins 3|5|3|2|0, badges [22|17|7|1|0]
0.9.9.7: badges [21|17|17|10|1|wow,1], quest: UV each challenge (9/16)

iainuki

• Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: April 17, 2020, 16:42 »

Intuition 2, then don't enter the monster's range on your turn, let them wander into your vicinity instead. I learned this trick watching one of Tormuse's videos when I finally gave up on trying to figure it out myself - even if it ended up as simple as this. That is, maneuver so that the yet-invisible monster would be marked at the very edge of your FOV, both before and after your move, thus if he'd get closer you will have the first chance to act. Doorways and ambushes aside, of course. With doorways, you would need a lure or wait until all enemies (detectable ofc) on the other side of the door are close to the wall with the door so that they won't see you entering the square with the door. With ambushes, I believe your best bet would be using phase devices prior to an ambush or right after it like in City of Skulls.

I definitely don't have any trouble doing it with Intuition 2.  (This is why I end up playing so many scouts, and often go Intuition 2 as my first traits.)  I'm trying to figure out how to do without Intuition 2, for all the challenges where I can't have that.
[20|17|16|12|5|2]

23/43 Medals

ih8regin

• Captain
  • You dodge! The Cyberdemon dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: April 17, 2020, 22:51 »

I'm trying to figure out how to do without Intuition 2, for all the challenges where I can't have that.
Is there any, besides radar shooting with a shotgun and listening for screams?
0.9.9.6: Cacodemon 2nd Lieutenant, wins 3|5|3|2|0, badges [22|17|7|1|0]
0.9.9.7: badges [21|17|17|10|1|wow,1], quest: UV each challenge (9/16)

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: April 18, 2020, 00:00 »

Also, lots of waiting by doorways or around blind corners such that you can see them coming before they see you.
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

iainuki

• Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: April 22, 2020, 23:19 »

Also, lots of waiting by doorways or around blind corners such that you can see them coming before they see you.

On Nightmare, does this demand that you've done perfect corpse disposal beforehand?
[20|17|16|12|5|2]

23/43 Medals

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: April 24, 2020, 04:39 »

That would be ideal, but it's not always practical.  When I'm establishing myself at the beginning of a level, I sometimes have to prioritize who I dispose of, and any enemies that I can just one-shot, I kill them where they stand and focus more on getting rid of the corpses of larger enemies, then come back to getting rid of the smaller ones when they revive later.  I'm not saying this is necessarily the ideal strategy or anything, but that's how my Nightmare games usually play out.
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

iainuki

• Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: April 27, 2020, 21:44 »

That would be ideal, but it's not always practical.  When I'm establishing myself at the beginning of a level, I sometimes have to prioritize who I dispose of, and any enemies that I can just one-shot, I kill them where they stand and focus more on getting rid of the corpses of larger enemies, then come back to getting rid of the smaller ones when they revive later.  I'm not saying this is necessarily the ideal strategy or anything, but that's how my Nightmare games usually play out.

Another related quick question on Nightmare: spending lots of time waiting speeds up the respawn rate.  Is it just always better to spend time waiting for enemies around blind corners and doing tedious corpse disposal tasks, even though this will speed up respawns?
[20|17|16|12|5|2]

23/43 Medals

iainuki

• Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: April 28, 2020, 15:16 »

I've watched the videos of Tormuse and frozenca/papilio doing Hell Arena on UV/N! with a pistol or melee weapon, but in trying to replicate them, I've completely failed.  When I looked at the mortems, though, they and other people seem to be able to do Hell Arena in AoB/AoMr on UV/N!.  However, every time I try I end up running out of HP and dying.  What's the trick to it?
[20|17|16|12|5|2]

23/43 Medals

iainuki

• Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: May 27, 2020, 21:57 »

In some of Tormuse's mortems for AAoRA, I've seen that that he's visited Hell's Armory at least.  I know how to do Deimos Lab in AAoRA, but I haven't figured out the trick to getting to the important parts of Hell's Armory in time.  What's the trick?
[20|17|16|12|5|2]

23/43 Medals
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79]