Derek

• Team Artist
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.derekyu.com
Re: Shell
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2006, 15:58 »

Man, Karry, you've got kind of a combative tone to all your posts... maybe try toning it down and people will be more receptive to your suggestions?

JimmyJ

• Major
  • Integrated Circuit
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2006, 19:43 »

It seems that no matter what any points anyone makes, Kerry says the same thing... Each time with more and more hostility :/
Howdy.

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2006, 12:58 »

Ok:

'e' - see equipment, see traits, unequip WITHOUT swap
   For melee without mweapon avoiding RL suicide, walk over lava so you don't damage your boots 'cause there's a Supercharge anyway, same for armor and minor enemies.
Very useful when micromanaging, unattainable through 'i' wtihout foregoing other advantages. Also good for access without 'w', 'W', 'T', 'P' and so forth.

'i'  - see inventory (and relative room left, at a glance), use items(?), equip WITH swap
   Well, why that's good's obvious. Too bad I wasn't aware of the swap earlier :) Does it make any practical game difference?

'u' - use items

I'd say the only duplication here's 'i' and 'u', if you can 'use' through 'i' (haven't tried).
Even then it's a convenient listing of your medkits.

As for Crawl and NetHack, they've very different mentalities. Here we don't worry about the BFG taking up space for our RL, CG, PR and CS combined, and can get a quick list of our worn equipment with a touch of the 'e', not 'I'>'foo*too much'. Who cares. I doubt anyone complains about weapon selections in Doom-like FPSs, and that's basically one 'i' away.

PS: doesn't ADoM have hundreds of strange, effectively useless commands...?

Doom Trooper

• Private FC
  • ^^Pretend thats an Imp^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2006, 20:34 »

ADOM has tons of extra commands, so does NetHack. Most seem useless at the start, but you end up using lots of them. The one thing that I'd like to see is a switchable status bar at the bottom, ala ADOM, that you can use to see your experience/level, time in game, etc.

As for the inventory system, it is only one page, so it doesn't seem useful to combine stuff into multi-window stuffs. Oh, and I was wondering, does it save you time when swapping weapons to prepare one first?
Frick! This game is WAY too hard at some spots, lol!

(But I still like it)
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All